Friday, June 24, 2011

Microwave Kool Aid Play Dough

We made play dough and love this recipe from Cassie's preschool! It says you can add a scent, but we used unsweetened kool aid for the scent and color of the play dough. I like the idea that it can be made using the microwave too.  We don't drink a whole lot of kool aid here, but have used it for homemade popsicles. Some of the flavors add a nice scent to the play dough too. I don't know if C was fond of all the scents, but it was a fun way to mix up the recipe a bit.


Here is the recipe:
(we divided it in half to make more colors)
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Salt
2 Tablespoons Oil
4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 Cups Water
Food coloring/Scent (We used unsweetened kool aid)

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the oil and water in a microwave safe bowl until it is almost boiling.  Add the food coloring. (we did not add food coloring for color--- we added the kool aid  powder with the dry ingredients) Mix the liquid and the dry ingredients together. Once the mixture has cooled, knead the dough until it becomes smooth and soft.

Here are the flavors/colors of kool aid that we use for our kool aid play dough: Cherry, Orange, Lemonade, Lemon-Lime, Ice-Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Grape. ***For the Lemonade color we use added a little yellow food coloring because it was so light. Grape is a little dark, but the scent is good.


Here is C mixing the dry ingredients and the Ice-Blue-Raspberry Lemonade powder for blue play dough.


Here is C carefully mixing in the wet ingredients! (Careful because it is HOT!)


After the play dough kool aid cooled, we knead the play dough and it was ready for playing!
Here are some play dough snails in each color with tooth picks and googly eyes added in! Cassie's favorite scent was the Cherry! This was the best, I agree!


Here are her play dough monsters and C found some popsicle sticks to add in to the FUN!


We've been having some more kool aid fun so stay tuned for some future posts!
This post is linked to:

13 comments:

  1. Wow...I've never seen a microwaveable playdoh recipe! Thanks...will definetely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made Kool Aid play dough recently. It is still my daughter's favorite play dough in the house. I love the fun scents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't either! Thanks for the recipe from me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncooked:
    Two cups of flour
    One cup of salt
    Four table spoons of Cream of Tartar
    Two table spoons of cooking oil
    Two cups of boiling water

    Mix all that up until its a dough, then add some food colouring :)

    I find this recipe easiest to clean up after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours! Great idea to pop it in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was planning to make Kool-Aid playdough this week so I'll try it in the microwave! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun colored googly eyes-don't think I've ever seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tried this and my colors are not as vibrant as yours. How much Kool Aid did you use?
    Also you said you divided the recipe for more colors? Did you divide before the dry ingrediants or after?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ NLD... I used one unsweetened packet per each batch of 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, and one cup of water. I mixed the kool aid with the dry ingredients and added the wet microwaved ingredients. The only color that was really light for me was the lemonade (yellow). If you wanted to fix your batches you could add food coloring and knead it into the already made play dough. Hope this helps! It would still have some scent too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can't wait to try this with my students! microwave playdough! what will theyt hink of next?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this on pinterest. I just tried it with my 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old boys. They liked it...so far. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for telling. It made great playdough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait t try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete